What to do when a client files a claim after they've signed off on your BOL?

azexotictransport

Administrator
Staff member
So i had a guy one time that filed a claim TWO WEEKS after receiving his car, signed off on my BOL, all clean and good there. Needless to say it didnt get very far with insurance as it's almost impossible to prove damages occurred in transport when he didnt notate it on delivery. Just an FYI for all car haulers out there..

CarTransportTalk

Administrator
Staff member
Well it's a pretty common mistake people make when shipping a car, is to not take the inspection process seriously on the pickup or drop off sides of the transport. This is also referred to as the "auto transport bill of lading" That serves as your one chance to thoroughly inspect the vehicle for damages or any other issues. Trying to claim damages, or liability against a carrier after a client has signed off, and driven the car around for 2 weeks is pretty nuts, obviously its impossible to assign liability to any party at that point.

CarTransportTalk

Administrator
Staff member
And no surprise, Auto Transport For Dummies has a video on the topic of "Is my car covered by insurance while in transport" . You can watch that here via Youtube: